Literacy CirclesWhat is a Literacy Circle?
"In literature circles, small groups of students gather together to discuss a piece of literature in depth. The discussion is guided by students' response to what they have read. You may hear talk about events and characters in the book, the author's craft, or personal experiences related to the story."
Schlick Noe, K. L. & Johnson. N.L., Getting Started with Literature Circles , 1999 Christopher-Gordon Publishers, Inc. p. ix.What is the Purpose of the Literacy Circle?
Schlick Noe, K. L. & Johnson. N.L., Getting Started with Literature Circles , 1999 Christopher-Gordon Publishers, Inc. p. ix.Description of Roles:
Student Roles Assignment Sheets:
- Discussion Director - develops questions for the group to discuss
- Literary Luminary - chooses passages within the assigned reading that the group rereads and discusses because it is interesting, informative, the climax, well written, included figurative language, etc.
- Vocabulary Enricher - chooses words that are difficult or used in an unfamiliar way
- Connector - finds a connection between the story and another book, event in their personal life or the outside world
- Illustrator - draws a picture related to the reading
- Summarizer - prepares a brief summary of the passage read that day
- Travel Tracer - tracks the movement when the characters move a lot