As we navigate this rough time at home, I'm going to try and post some great activities I saw that can be used for many kids. I will try to highlight what skills are worked on in each. There are so many people out there offering free resources and classes right now!
So many of our kids have difficulties with body awareness, strength, and attention. In case you're wondering why I post so many yoga poses, it's because it's great to work on all of these! Every kiddo I see can benefit from yoga-type activities.
Stay Safe and Healthy!
*Desensitization videos for mask wearing: These are made by an OT I found on you tube. She has many great videos. Check her out! (Amy Segal OT)
*Daily Live activities at 8:30am, working on mindfulness, body awareness, strength and more! Fridays are craft days. Everything is done with items you have around your home, and she adapts the activities for kids of all abilities. On Facebook: search for Play to Grow and scroll down to her daily videos.
*Daily PE class: The Body Coach TV on You Tube (better for kids who can follow along) -- daily at 9am
*Memory and Strength game: https://www.facebook.com/kinderkinesiologie/videos/1363217783881059/ You can do this one as is, or change it up by putting the squares on the wall, touching them with your feet instead of hands while in a standing position.
*Strength, balance, agility, coordination. So many fun and cute ideas to try in this video: https://www.facebook.com/homefit83/videos/2639269676308046/
*Don't touch the lava game: https://www.themanylittlejoys.com/dont-touch-the-lava-preschool-learning-game/
* Coordination ball throwing game: https://starfishtherapies.wordpress.com/2012/10/23/a-multi-tasking-activity/
* Activities using only masking tape: https://handsonaswegrow.com/5-different-activities-for-6-lines-of-tape/
* Alphabet Activities (for preschoolers): Some are fine motor and some are gross motor https://www.howweelearn.com/alphabet-activities-for-preschoolers/
*Balloon tennis: One of my favorite activities for kids of all ages: https://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/balloon-tennis-gross-motor-play-activity/
* Giant Building Blocks activity for Preschoolers: https://busytoddler.com/2016/07/giant-building-blocks-toddler-stem-activity/ Great activity for strength!
*School of Strength: Daily exercise videos done by Special Olympics and WWE Athletes: https://www.specialolympics.org/school-of-strength
* Driveway Obstacle course: Driveway Obstacle Course
* Excellent, initeractive movement classes for Preschoolers: www.mocomc.com
* Animal Movement: My friend Megan put togehter this video with some great animal movements. This will be good for preschool and elementary school kids, as there are some challenging movements! It helps wiith body awareness and strengthenging. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF3O8eW9cVQ&feature=youtu.be
* Spiderweb Obstacle Course: https://hasdcloud-my.sharepoint.com/personal/shebelockd_hasdk12_org/_layouts/15/onedrive.aspx?id=%2Fpersonal%2Fshebelockd%5Fhasdk12%5Forg%2FDocuments%2FSpiderweb%20Obstacle%20Course%2Emp4&parent=%2Fpersonal%2Fshebelockd%5Fhasdk12%5Forg%2FDocuments&originalPath=aHR0cHM6Ly9oYXNkY2xvdWQtbXkuc2hhcmVwb2ludC5jb20vOnY6L2cvcGVyc29uYWwvc2hlYmVsb2NrZF9oYXNkazEyX29yZy9FYWt0Wkc0ZkJIbE9nZUxtYzRaMW9ja0JYTm5DN0ZmU2I5dnFPS0trVklBN3RRP3J0aW1lPTloWmYtOGZtMTBn
More to come!