Welcome to kindergarten! I am looking forward to a wonderful year with both you and your child. Here are some important notes to help prepare all of you for the upcoming year:
- SNACK- Please provide a light snack for your child each day. You may also send a drink if you wish. (no soda please) Each child will also need a reusable or disposable water bottle. Fountains will not be available, but filling stations will. A lunchbox is a great idea. If your child is packing a lunch, please show your child which is “snack” and which is “lunch.”
- LUNCH- All students will receive free breakfast and lunch. There will be a charge if your child chooses to purchase just a milk. A monthly lunch calendar is available online. Please make sure your child is aware of the choices before ordering a lunch.
3. HOMEWORK- Please sign and return all homework the next day. Typically, I give homework Monday through Thursday. Your child’s “Reading Folder” will be sent home every Monday. Please make sure to read the material in the folder nightly! I do not give homework over the weekend. I believe that this time should be saved for the family. The amount of homework given per week will vary. All students must use the parent/teacher communication folder that was provided at orientation. The inside of the folder is labeled so you will know which papers stay home and which ones need to come back. PLEASE CHECK (AND EMPTY) YOUR CHILD’S FOLDER DAILY FOR HOMEWORK OR ANY OTHER IMPORTANT PAPERS.
4. SUPPLIES- PTA has provided each child with a pencil box containing pencils, glue sticks, and crayons. Your child may bring in other supplies to keep in the box as well. No pens, sharpeners, or markers please! I will provide these for the students as needed. Every student will need: glue sticks, pencils/erasers, 24 pack of crayons, 1 subject notebook, reusable water bottle (with name on it), change of clothing, dry erase markers, a dry erase eraser or sock, and a pair of headphones (no earbuds please) to use in the classroom. Please place headphones in a baggie or small container with his/her name on it. If you would like to donate any supplies to the classroom here are some things we always need: tissues, glue sticks, paper towels, zip lock bags (big or small), paper plates (plain white, big, or small), disinfectant spray, or any craft item. Any donation would be greatly appreciated!
5. PERSONAL ITEMS- Please put your child’s first and last name on all his/her personal possessions in order to avoid any confusion.
6. ABSCENCES- Please send in an excuse upon your child’s return to school.
7. PARENT DROP OFFS/PICK -UPS- A dismissal form is included in the folder. Please fill out the form by the first day of school so that I know how your child will be getting home. If your child regularly takes the bus but will be picked up or vice versa, a note will be required.
8. MEDICAL INFORMATION- Please notify me of any medical conditions that you feel I should be aware of. (allergies, etc.) All information will be kept confidential.
9. CLASS LIST- I will be sending home a class list shortly. Please keep this list for future references such as birthday parties, Valentines, etc. I will keep you posted on any changes.
10. BOOK ORDERS- All orders will be placed online. I will send home instructions within the first few weeks of school. The orders generally take 2 weeks to arrive.
11. BIRTHDAYS- You may send in a healthy snack for your child’s birthday if you wish! (yogurt, animal crackers, pretzels, etc.) Due to the nutrition guidelines for our district, no homemade treats, or sweets such as cookies or cupcakes are permitted for birthdays. If you are sending in birthday invitations, please invite either all boys, all girls, or the entire class to avoid any hurt feelings. Induvial invites will not be passed out in school.
12. NEWSLETTER- There will be a monthly newsletter, which will include important dates, reminders, list weekly themes and activities, and it will also keep you current as to what we are doing in Math, Reading, and Phonics.
14. DRESS CODE- Please follow the district guidelines.
15. BUS CARDS- Please make sure your child’s bus card is visible in their backpack!
16.Parent Volunteers- Parent volunteers help with class parties and field trips. Please become a part of our classroom!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!