Background Clearance Information
Pennsylvania State Police Check
The Pennsylvania State Police has also established a web-based computer application called “Pennsylvania Access To Criminal History,” (PATCH) Using this system, a requestor can apply for a criminal background check on an individual. Eighty-five percent of the time, “No Record” certificates are returned immediately through the Internet to the requestor.
Pennsylvania Access to Criminal History (PATCH) Web Site
Check Status of Previously Submitted Criminal History Request If you have submitted your criminal history request on-line and know your control number, Click Here. If you do not know your control number, or for additional criminal history request questions call the PATCH Help Line toll-free at: 1-888-QUERY-PA (1-888-783-7972)
Fees (effective December 1, 2017):
- SP4-164- $22.00, Standard Record Check Request. Only this type of request can be notarized
- SP4-164A- Free , VOLUNTEERS ONLY
Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
Select create a new account, select next at bottom of page, create profile and the submit information for clearance.
You can also mail, but that typically takes three to four weeks to receive your copy in the mail. http://www.dpw.state.pa.us/ucmprd/groups/webcontent/documents/form/s_001762.pdf
Cost $10.00 money order (no cash or checks accepted). This form is downloaded and mailed to Childline and Abuse Registry, Department of Public Welfare, P.O. Box 8170, Harrisburg, PA 17105-8170.
- Type or print clearly and neatly in ink Section I only.
- Address must be Applicant's current home address.
- All information must be completed in full. (The form asks for all previous names, addresses, and household members since 1975). This information must be provided to the best of your knowledge and belief. If necessary, attach additional pages.
- Application must be signed.
- Enclose a $10.00 money order for each application. No cash or personal checks accepted. Agency or business checks are acceptable.
- Do not send any postage paid return envelopes.
- Application should be placed in a business-sized or larger envelope prior to mailing.
- One block must be checked for Purpose for Clearance. Do not check more than one block.
- Check the Volunteer Block if performing a service (paid or unpaid) for organizations such as Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Boy Scouts, Little League or churches. A copy of your Criminal Record Check results obtained within the past year must be attached. Do not send original Criminal Record results. If you are not a Pennsylvania resident, you must also attach a copy of your FBI results obtained within the past year. This block should not be checked for anyone volunteering in schools.
- Check the School Block if seeking to have involvement within a school (public, private vocational, technical, nursing) for any reason.
- Check the Foster Care Block if applying for foster parenting or custody of a child.
- Check the Adoption Block if in the process or planning to adopt a child.
- Check the Child Care Block if planning to work in a day care setting or if all other blocks do not apply.
- Check the CWEP Block if you are participating in a Department of Public Welfare training program. The signature and phone number of the County Assistance Representative is required.
Clearance results will be mailed to you within 14 days from the date that the clearance is received in our office. There will be no replacements after 90 days. Failure to comply with the above instructions will cause considerable delay.
FBI Fingerprint Record
- The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has changed to a new electronic fingerprinting vendor, IDEMIA, for Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) criminal history background checks.
- IDEMIA, will begin processing FBI criminal history checks on November 28, 2017.
- Service Name: School Districts
- Service Code: 1KG6XN
Fee: $22.60; All applicants will now receive an unofficial copy of their report. Fee is payable to IDEMIA.
The fingerprint-based background check is a multiple-step process, as follows:
- Registration - The applicant must register prior to going to the fingerprint site. Walk in service is allowed but all applicants are required to complete pre-enrollment in the new Universal Enrollment system. Pre-enrollment can be completed online or over the phone. The registration website is available online 24 hours/day, seven days per week at https://uenroll.identogo.com. Telephonic registration is available at 1-844-321-2101 Monday through Friday, 8am to 6pm EST. During the pre-enrollment process, all demographic data for the applicant is collected (name, address, etc.) along with notices about identification requirements and other important information.
When registering on-line, an applicant must use the appropriate agency specific Service Code to ensure they are processed for the correct agency and/or applicant type. Using the correct service code ensures the background check is submitted for the correct purpose. Fingerprint requests processed through any other agency or purpose cannot be accepted and are not transferrable. If an applicant enters the wrong code by mistake, the incorrect applicant type will appear at the top of the screen. The applicant should select the “Back to Home” button and begin the process again, by reentering the correct Service Code. If the applicant proceeds with the process under the incorrect code, the pre-enrollment and/or results cannot be transferred to another state agency and the applicant will have to start the process over and pay for the background check again.
- Payment - The applicant will pay a fee of $22.60 for the fingerprint service and to secure an unofficial copy of the Criminal History Record. Major Credit Cards as well as Money orders or cashier’s checks payable to MorphoTrust will be accepted on site for those applicants who are required to pay individually. No cash transactions or personal checks are allowed.
- Fingerprint Locations – After registration, the applicant proceeds to the fingerprint site of their choice for fingerprinting. The location of the fingerprint sites and days and hours of operation for each site are posted on IDEMIA's website at https://uenroll.identogo.com. The location of fingerprint sites may change over time; applicants are encouraged to confirm the site location nearest to their location. PDE encourages entities where access to the fingerprint location is more than 25 miles away to contact IDEMIA and suggest areas where another closer site could be established.
- Fingerprinting - At the fingerprint site the Enrollment Agents (EA) manages the fingerprint collection process. The fingerprint transaction begins when the EA reviews the applicant’s qualified State or Federal photo ID before processing the applicant’s transaction. A list of approved ID type may be found on the IDEMIA website at https://uenroll.identogo.com . Applicants will not be processed if they cannot produce an acceptable photo ID. After the identity of the applicant has been established, all ten fingers are scanned to complete the process. The entire fingerprint capture process should take no more than three to five minutes.
Applicants will receive an unofficial copy of their report. However, the school is required to review the official CHRI online and print a file copy of the CHRI if the applicant is hired by the school or their contractor, or if the applicant is approved for student teaching.