MUSIC CLASS WITH MRS. HOPPEY
Kindergarten through 6th grade receive music at least once a week. Some sections receive music twice a week depending on their schedule. Students in music class learn about the joys of music through a variety of ways. They are engaged in making music through singing, moving and playing instruments. In addition to making music, they learn about music theory, music history, composers and several cross-curricular topics including math, science, language, world history, art and culture. Here is a list of standards each student is exposed to throughout the year in music class.
MENC NATIONAL STANDARDS FOR ARTS EDUCATION
1. Content Standard: Sing, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music.
2. Content Standard: Performing on instruments, alone and with others, a varied repertoire of music
3. Content Standard: Improvising melodies, variations, and accompaniments.
4. Content Standard: Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
5. Content Standard: Reading and notating music.
6. Content Standard: Listening to, analyzing, and describing music.
7. Content Standard: Evaluating music and music performances.
8. Content Standrad: Understanding relationships between muisc, the other arts, and disciplines outside the arts.
9. Content Standard: Understanding music in relation to history and cultures.