Beginning May 11, 2020, the Hazleton Area School District will be moving forward offering new instruction opportunities to its student body. This distance learning is being made available to ALL District students, regardless of his or her instructional level. All instruction and services, including related services, will be provided to students in accordance with their IEPs, to the best of our ability.
- Special Education services/programming and Gifted Education:
- *Existing Special Education Placements- students currently receiving services will return to their existing educational placement upon school’s reopening, unless new educational placement was addressed in a recent IEP meeting.
- *Initial Evaluation Reports will be completed within the current due dates. To the extent that a determination cannot be made with the existing information, a new Permission to Evaluate will be issued upon school’s reopening.
- *Reevaluations will be completed, to the extent possible, in accordance with the current due dates. In the event that additional information is deemed necessary upon school’s reopening, a Permission to Reevaluate to be issued in a timely manner.
- * IEPS/GIEPS will be completed in accordance with existing due dates. I will contact you to arrange a phone or virtual conference should your son’s or daughter’s IEP need the annual revision. To the extent that all other documents require revision upon school’s reopening, they will be revised in a timely manner.
Information regarding new instruction beginning May 11, 2020:
- All Special Education students will be offered access to educational opportunities during the ongoing school closure. I will continue communicating directly with parents. Please ensure that I have the most current contact information for you to ensure ongoing communication.
- Online instruction through Edgenuity is being afforded to all students who have internet access and an electronic device. www.edgenuity.com/students
- The District has provided resources to parents for free internet service.
- For those students who do not have internet access, packets will be created and can be picked up at the Career Center beginning May 11th. Additional resources will be communicated as they become available. Ongoing information and updates can be accessed via the District’s website.
- Should you or your child have any questions regarding on line or packet instruction, please contact me via email@example.com or 570-401-9908. OR
To access your child's (content area) teachers' websites, go to http://www.hasdk12.org.
- Select your child's school from the “Select a School” drop down menu.
- Click on the “Teachers” tab and all teachers for that specific school are arranged by last name.
- Click on a teacher's name to access their website
- Students who attended out of District placements prior to the closure will receive additional information directly from those placements.
- Students are expected to complete all activities, they will not be graded but may be submitted for teacher feedback.\
- In good faith, all related services will be provided, to the best of the District’s ability, therapists will discuss platform and frequency.
Please know that the HAZLETON AREA School District appreciates your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time. We understand that this response to the school closings may not be perfect for every student or family, however, the District is providing these services in a good faith effort to continue instruction for all students. Once we are able to reopen school buildings for students, IEP teams will review each students’ individual progress to determine the best course of action moving forward.
We are all in this together and we are learning as we move forward. If you are in need of any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask. As noted above, I am available to you and am waiting to assist you during this time. Also, please feel free to reach out to me for any general assistance or concerns that you may have, and we will work through them together.